Tamil Nadu literally 'The Land of Tamils' or 'Tamil Country') is one of the 29 states of India. Its capital and largest city is Chennai (formerly known as Madras).
Tamil Nadu lies in the southernmost part of the Indian Peninsula and is bordered by the union territory of Puducherry and the South Indian states of Kerala, Karnataka, and Andhra Pradesh. It is bounded by the Eastern Ghats on the north, by the Nilgiri, the Anamalai Hills, and Kerala on the west, by the Bay of Bengal in the east, by the Gulf of Mannar and the Palk Strait on the southeast, and by the Indian Ocean on the south. The state shares a maritime border with the nation of Sri Lanka.
1. Tamil Nadu is the second largest economy in India after Maharashtra.
2. Tamil Nadu is the only state which has Indian flag in its seal.
3. Tamil language spoken by Tamil Nadu people is one of the oldest classical languages in the world.
4. 60% of the Total epigraphical inscriptions of India found by ASI (ARCHAEOLOGICAL SURVEY OF INDIA) are from Tamil Nadu.
5. Tamil Nadu has the following UNESCO World heritage sites.
A - Mahabalipuram
B-Three Chola temples: the Brihadeeswarar Temple at Thanjavur, the Temple of Gangaikonda Cholapuram and the Airavatesvara Temple at Darasuram build by chola empire.
Airavatesvara Temple at Darasuram
C Nilgiri Mountain railway
Nilgiri Mountain railway
6. Rani Velu Nachiyar (1730-1796), was a queen of Sivaganga estate in 1760-1790. She was the first queen to fight against the British colonial power in India, even long before the famous Rani of Jhansi. She is celebrated by Tamils as Veeramangai (brave girl). A postal stamp was issued to honour this brave queen.
Rani Velu Nachiyar
7. Vellore mutiny of 1806 was the first instance of large scale uprising of Indian sepoys against British East India company.
8. Tamil Nadu has the highest proportion of women working in police force in India (12.5%)
9. TAMIL Written literature is the oldest in the world surviving for more than 2000 years.
10. TAMIL NADU is the largest producer of banana, turmeric, flowers and Tapioca in India.
11. The Traces of migration from Africa about 70000 years ago have been found in a village near Madurai, Tamilnadu. People living in Tamil Nadu may be one of the oldest thriving migrants from Africa.Every drop of human blood contains a history book written in the language of genes-- SPENCER Wells, population geneticist who surveyed the village-The rare genes of “NRYM130“ which is found among all the primitive aboriginals was proved to be present in Jyothimanickam Village people.
12. Bhakti movement started in Tamil Nadu and spread to North India.
13. The game kabaddi originated in Tamil Nadu.India is by far the successful international kabaddi team in the world, know why?We have been playing it for centuries as our native sport.
14. TAMIL NADU is the top tourist state of India for three consecutive years from 2014
15. People of Tamil Nadu has great love for their language “TAMIL” that they have named their kids as follows:-
Tamil selvi/selvan,Tamil Anbu, Senthamil selvi/ selvan,Tamilanban, Tamil Arasan / Tamil Arasi,Tamil Mithran,Tamil Vanan,Thamizhini,Shemmozhi (classical language), Muthamilselvi, Tamil priya Tamil Alagan,Thenthamizhosai ,Tamizhnidhi Tamizhiniyal .
16. Tamil Nadu leads the country in organ donation- Times of India
17. Tamil Nadu tops the nation in solar power and wind power generation.
18. Chennai amounts to 60% of the country's automotive exports to the world. Chennai is known as the Detroit of India. It is one of the top ten automobile hubs of the world.Chennai emerging as global export hub for small cars: TN Govt - ET Auto
19. Spencer Plaza located in Chennai is the oldest shopping mall of India.
20. Koyambedu bus terminus in Chennai is the largest in Asia.
Koyambedu bus terminus
21. Vandalur zoological Park in Chennai is the largest in India in terms of area. It is also the first public zoo of India.
22. World health organization (WHO) has rated ADYAR CANCER INSTITUTE as top ranking center in the country.
23. Kathipara Junction in Chennai is the largest cloverleaf flyover bridge in Asia.
24. Archaeological evidences indicates the crucible steel process started in Tamil Nadu before the common era (0AD). This wootz steel was exported to Damascus, Syria from India to make Damascus steel which are used in making sharp resilient blades . India exported steel ingots to Middle East from 3 A.D. to 17 A.D.
25.Everyone knows that Marina Beach in Chennai is the second longest beach of the world. But it must also be noted that it is the longest natural urban beach in the world.
Source of the article: Email received from a friend
Photos: Google images